SOMATIC MOVEMENT EDUCATION PROGRAM (SME)
“I feel that the model of muscle contraction given in standard texts fits only one type of contraction. However, as I perceive and experience different types of muscle contractions, a new model has emerged.“
– Bonnie Bainbridge Cohen
The muscles establish a tensile three-dimensional grid for the balanced support and movement of the skeletal structure by providing the elastic forces that move the bones through space. They provide the dynamic contents of the outer envelope of tissue encompassing the skeletal structure. Through this system we embody our vitality, express our power, and engage in the dialogue of resistance and resolution.
August 12 – 22, 2023
July 19 – 29, 2026
Go to calendar
This course includes:
- Innovative muscle principles (proximal and distal initiation, muscle coupling and currenting, A and B muscles, four stages of a muscle action, eight functions of a muscle).
- Embodying muscles and initiating movement at the molecular level (actin and myosin).
- The embodied functions of proprioceptors (muscle spindles and Golgi tendon organs).
- Analyzing the actions of individual muscles and of groups of muscles from the perspective of one’s position in relation to gravity.
- Interrelationships between muscles in different parts of the body and as they pass through different fascial planes.
- Techniques of muscle re-education and training.
“Muscles have allowed me to finally enter a comfortable relationship with my bones, meeting a vitality that does not require effort. I have been able to embody emotions without name, and I appreciate the possibility to process emotions from a deep comprehension rooted in non verbal communication.”
– Andrea Hernández
“I have moved from a mechanical and reductionist perception of my muscles to a broader and more integrative one. I have enjoyed the specificity of this system, of its functions, understanding them always embedded in a global context of mutual support with other systems and structures.”
“This course has been the perfect introduction to Body-Mind Centering®, coming from a background in dance and Yoga. It will take me some time to fully understand BMC® language but I find most of the material highly tangible, applicable and relatable.”
– Marah Arcilla
“It has been truly special! The material is fascinating and I have been able to embodied the concepts and principles in a diverse and creative way thanks to the support of the wonderful teaching team.”
– Marina Santo
Make your payment two months before the beginning of the course and save 50€
This discount ends in:
Request more information
Please contact us for any further information. We also remind you that you can visit our frequent asked questions page